open 7 days a
week from 9am
A taste of what we offer:
- Fresh bread baked on site
- Customised sandwiches
- Delicious cakes, pies and pasties
- Top quality barista made speciality coffees
- All day breakfasts
- Indulgent afternoon teas
- Homemade soups
- Hearty lunches
- Wines and beers
- Homemade condiments including jams, chutneys and vinaigrettes
- Seasonal specials
baking at it's best in the heart of the lake district since 1975
We are a unique family run independent cafe bakery producing fresh bread, cakes and pies 7 days a week in our very own two storey craft bakery.
We source many of our ingredients from local businesses and are always on the hunt for new ideas to ensure our customers are getting the best of British baking.
We now also have eight beautifully converted boutique style en-suite rooms just next door, with all the extra touches to make you feel at home.
In what was formerly a garage and repairs shop tucked beside the old bridge house, David and his mother opened the Apple Pie in 1975. David trained at Bakery College in Blackpool and worked for 4 years in the test bakery at Warburton’s before deciding to venture out on his own.
In the early days it was a two man band, mother and son with only five tables and a kettle. Although a trained baker, David never intended to open a bakery (he didn’t like the early starts!) but as people started requesting the cakes they ate in the café to take home with them, he had no option but to expand the bakery and open the takeaway shop.
As demand increased so did the premises, extending backwards and upwards with much of the work carried out by David himself. The premises now comprises the take away counter, five seating areas and a wonderful two storey bakery with a team of skilled bakers who not only supply the Apple Pie café and takeaway but many businesses around the heart of the Lake District, with top quality freshly baked products.
The Apple Pie could not have kept up with demand without its team of core staff and we are pleased to be able to say that some members of our team have been with over 30 years. Simon Carter started in 1980 as a seasonal employee working behind the counter and now has the task of managing the day to day running of the shop and café, with all the challenges that brings.
David Smith joined the bakery team in 1986 and has developed many of our best sellers and won several awards for his cake decorating and breads at national competitions.
In the kitchen Clare has been creating new recipes over the last 17 years, developing sandwich fillings, soups and more recently a range of condiments such as apple chutney, fruit jams, a mustard vinaigrette and harrissa paste.
Ann joined the team in 1979 and after marrying the boss became Mrs. Fielding in 1982. She has worked closely alongside David, helping to develop award winning products like the Cumberland sausage pie. More recently Ann has set up the Rooms at The Apple Pie, boutique style accommodation, in a tastefully converted building adjacent to the Apple pie Café. Right from the off, the rooms were a huge success with guests returning again and again.
The Apple Pie has a strong customer base with a high proportion of returning customers. We hear stories of people, who remember coming to the Apple Pie as a child and who are now bringing in the next generation of customers.
David started the business at 25 and at 65 he has taken his well-deserved retirement, (although he’s often still spotted around the business). It’s now the turn of the next generation – although initially they were dragged in to help out over busy periods, the young Fieldings are now getting involved and showing a keen interest in the future of the café and bakery. While eldest son, Simon is already heavily involved, making many changes and creating new products, youngest son, Richard is working in a London Bakery gaining skills and learning new techniques and recipes. Katie is still unsure of which direction her career will take her but is interested in the interior design side of the business and improving the customer’s experience. She is also keen to add to our list of ingredients which are sourced locally and from environmentally minded businesses.
The Apple Pie rarely stands still with projects continuously in the pipeline. As trends have come and gone, the Apple Pie has evolved and adapted to continuously keep up to date with customer demands.
Quality ingredients, quality products
- Flour sourced from Carr’s, Cumbria’s own Millers
- Sausages from across the street at Garside’s Butchers
- Free range eggs from?? Farm
- Milk from North Lakes Foods
- We’ve created our own Hot Chocolate Recipe
- We squeeze our own orange juice freshly for you
- We make our own jams, chutneys, toffee sauce and salad dressings.
- We have searched far and wide for a cup of what we believe to be the best quality coffee.
- We are very proud of the standard of our coffees, prepared with our state of the art espresso machine and more importantly our highly skilled baristas.
- Local beers from the renowned Hawkshead brewery as well a small micro-brewery at the Brown Horse at Winster
- As additions to our large product range we enjoy introducing seasonal specials
The customer’s experience
- Everyone is welcome, muddy boots, rucksacks, wet dogs, prams and all
- With our waiter pad service we feel we can provide a fast and efficient service, but still with the option of individually tailored alterations to any food and drink orders, just tell our waiting on staff what you would like and we will do our best
- We prepare our takeaway sandwiches on demand so personalise your sandwich with your choice of bread, salad, filling and condiments.
- We are always interested in where we can improve so please e-mail us with any comments or suggestions.
Keeping up with what's new in the world of cafes and baking
- As members of the British Confectioners Association for 12 years we have attended study trips to a number of UK Bakeries but have also travelled further afield to see what they are doing in China, Italy and Austria.
- Our team take part in training days to ensure we are up to date on the latest techniques not only in baking but also in producing the perfect coffee
- We attend exhibitions and food shows to source the latest products and trends so we can bring you new and interesting things to try, like the new Lakeland Lager, our range of tea pigs and the quality Cawston’s pressed apple juice range.
- We hope to create a working atmosphere that is supportive, varied and where staff can take ownership.
- We have three staff houses to provide staff with affordable housing in the centre of Ambleside